using rdiff-backup to *not* backup all of / ....

Alan alan@ufies.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:17:50 -0700

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:46:39PM -0400, Adam Lazur wrote:
> Alan (alan@ufies.org) said:
> > When I run with the command line you specify, it works perfectly, but
> > when I substitute --include for --include-filelist /foo/bar only the
> > directories in the filelist are backed up!  When I swap from the
> > --include-filelist back to --include /root --include /usr/local/sbin
> > etc, it backs up the contents of the directories :\
> >
> > The includes.txt file I have contains:
> >
> > /root
> > /home/user1
> > /home/user2/
> > /var/www
> > /var/cache/bind
> > /etc
> > /var/mail
> > /var/spool
> > /home/user3
> > /home/user4
> > /usr/lib/cgi-bin
> > /usr/local/sbin
> >
> > Is there anything wrong with this format?  Do I need a /* at the end or
> > a prepended + or something?
>
> I pointed you to the explanation earlier:
>
> > > See the "FILE SELECTION" portion of the manpage for the differences.
>
> Paths listed in --include-filelist do not do globbing, they do not
> include the files in a directory (so /usr would include just the dir
> /usr, and not /usr/local, /usr/bin, etc). See the "FILE SELECTION"
> portion of the manpage for more information.

Ah, sorry, didn't read deeply enough :)  I ended up just sticking all
the dirs on the command line for now, and am going to see how things go.
As long as the bandwidth is less than my old tar/scp combo, I'm happy!
:)

Regards,

Alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan@ufies.org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I