using rdiff-backup to *not* backup all of / ....

Adam Lazur adam@lazur.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:46:39 -0400

Alan (alan@ufies.org) said:
> When I run with the command line you specify, it works perfectly, but
> when I substitute --include for --include-filelist /foo/bar only the
> directories in the filelist are backed up!  When I swap from the
> --include-filelist back to --include /root --include /usr/local/sbin
> etc, it backs up the contents of the directories :\
>
> The includes.txt file I have contains:
>
> /root
> /home/user1
> /home/user2/
> /var/www
> /var/cache/bind
> /etc
> /var/mail
> /var/spool
> /home/user3
> /home/user4
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin
> /usr/local/sbin
>
> Is there anything wrong with this format?  Do I need a /* at the end or
> a prepended + or something?

I pointed you to the explanation earlier:

> > See the "FILE SELECTION" portion of the manpage for the differences.

Paths listed in --include-filelist do not do globbing, they do not
include the files in a directory (so /usr would include just the dir
/usr, and not /usr/local, /usr/bin, etc). See the "FILE SELECTION"
portion of the manpage for more information.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey