using rdiff-backup to *not* backup all of / ....

Alan alan@ufies.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:25:21 -0700

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:36:48AM -0400, Adam Lazur wrote:
> Alan (alan@ufies.org) said:
> > Playing around with something like:
> > rdiff-backup --include-filelist /root/backups/includes.txt \
> > --exclude \*\* / root@mybackup::/backups
>
> Try:
> rdiff-backup --include /root --exclude / / root@mybackup::/backups
>
> I don't use the -filelist versions of include/exclude because they don't
> allow globbing, among other things. See the "FILE SELECTION" portion of
> the manpage for the differences.

Interesting....

When I run with the command line you specify, it works perfectly, but
when I substitute --include for --include-filelist /foo/bar only the
directories in the filelist are backed up!  When I swap from the
--include-filelist back to --include /root --include /usr/local/sbin
etc, it backs up the contents of the directories :\

The includes.txt file I have contains:

/root
/home/user1
/home/user2/
/var/www
/var/cache/bind
/etc
/var/mail
/var/spool
/home/user3
/home/user4
/usr/lib/cgi-bin
/usr/local/sbin

Is there anything wrong with this format?  Do I need a /* at the end or
a prepended + or something?

Alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan@ufies.org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I