-mount (--one-file-system) like option for rdiff-backup?

Paul Wouters paul@xtdnet.nl
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:17:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I'm using my own little script for running offsite rsync backups and
just noticed rdiff-backup.

This seems to do what I try to do myself using something like:

rsync --bwlimit=0 --numeric-ids --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh --recursive --archive       --relative --sparse --one-file-system --compare-dest=/vol/backup/$HOSTNAME/Current $HOSTNAME:$DIRECTORY /vol/backup/$HOSTNAME/$DATE

Then once a week I run this with --delete to get rid of the older files.
Ofcourse, I end up with rsync rebuilding the entire structure, so even though
for bandwidth this is nice, for storage, it's rather a waste of diskspace.
So while checking to see if someone had hacked rsync or written a script to
replace identical files with hardlinks, I noticed rdiff-backup.

the only feature that seems to be missing at first glance is the
--one-file-system option. I'd like to be able to backup / without a mounted
/usr for example.

Can rdiff-backup do this somehow, without coming up with include or exlude
statements, so that I can just feed it hostname:directory entries to backup
without needing to write custom rules per entry?

Thanks,

Paul

--

"Movie scripts no longer write, George Lucas shall"