Can't stat -t problem

SPEscoto@cs.com SPEscoto@cs.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:36:52 EST

rdiff-backup usually uses python's os.lstat() function to stat files.
However, probably for portability reasons, python's stat doesn't yield enough
information to backup device files.  So if rdiff-backup is run on a device
file, it will execute 'stat -t' to find the major/minor device numbers for
the file, and then will run mknod to make the target file.

If 'stat -t' doesn't work on the 6.2 box then rdiff-backup won't be able to
backup dev files there either.  If it has worked so far it's probably because
there are no dev files.

I'm open to suggestions on better ways of dealing with dev files, because the
'stat -t'/mknod way isn't very portable.  But I've just assumed that the dev
files live in /dev, so they are easy to exclude, and not very important to
backup since most systems have a MAKEDEV file that recreates them.

--
Ben Escoto