"/" dir backup

docv docv@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:56:18 -0600

Ben Escoto wrote:

>In order to copy device files, rdiff-backup tries using the 'stat'
>command to figure out the major/minor numbers and the 'mknod' command
>to make the device.  This only works if your stat and mknod are
>compatible with linux's.  You don't seem to have a 'stat' at all (why
>not?), so I suggest you exclude your device directory ("--exclude
>/dev") or use the new --exclude-device-files option.

Thanks Ben, that worked. The only errors I get with the --exclude /dev
option  are 'socket found. ignoring' and another about no read
permissions on sudo.  These are acceptable for now. I'm testing rdiff on
my home system. I will be using it to backup a webserver that I help to
manage (but that comes later after I'm comfortable with using it on my
own systems. The box I'm testing rdiff-backup on is a clarkconnect
router for my DSL connection. It is a very "paranoid" system. It likely
does not include the stat command or the read permissions on sudo
becuase of this (but I'm guessing here).

--
Steve
docv@sbcglobal.net

In a world without walls and fences there is no need for windows nor gates.

You can not solve problems with the same level of thinking
that existed when the problems were created.
--Dr. Albert Einstein

Usted no puede solucionar problemas con el nivel del mismo
de manera de pensar tan existido cuando el problemas
fueron creados.
--Dr. Albert Einstein

President/CEO
Consultant's Publishing Services, LLC
http://www.cpsinfo.com

http://www.vaitl.net
===============================
Stephen W. Vaitl, D.C.
Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician
Certified Chiropractic Extremity Practitioner
Assistant Professor, Department of Chiropractic Sciences
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnosis
Former Director of Rehabilitation Services
Cleveland Chiropractic College - Kansas City
6401 Rockhill Rd.
Kansas City, MO  64131

The opinions expressed, in the original post, are those of the author.