cd-burning/tapeing rdiff-backups?

Gregor Zattler texmex@uni.de
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:00:16 +0200

Hi Ben,
* Ben Escoto <bescoto@stanford.edu> [28. Aug. 2002]:

GZ>> Hi, my rdiff-backups are on an IDE-HD.  Every once in a while i
GZ>> want to burn them on CD.

GZ>> Am I right, that i must burn the whole backup folder (mirror +
GZ>> rdiff-increments)?

GZ>> Since the mirror until now nearly fills a CD i had to burn it
GZ>> very often so mirror and increments fit on one CD.

GZ>> Is there a way of having only increments on the CD?

> If I understand the question correctly, yes, you must save both
> increments and the mirror information in order to restore older
> backups.  rdiff-backup probably isn't a good way to incrementally back
> up to CDRs or to tape (although it might work to use rdiff-backup to a
> hard drive and then periodicallly do a full backup of that hard drive
> to CDs or tape).

If a make two such full backups first at t1 and later on t2 then
i could recreate a file which is older than t1 from the first
full backup and a file which was modified between t1 and t2 from
the second backup.

Is there a way of only using one mirror (say on one tape) and
collect the increments on other tapes so all recreationof files
is done from one huge backup?

As in the questions about mergin rdiff-backups my point is how to
manage this backups (back them up, move, copy, merge, split
them).

Ciao, Gregor
--
"The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet."
-- William Gibson