Is it the right tool?

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:17:40 -0700

--==_Exmh_-914296909P

  PC> I'm involved in moving a small organisation from windows 98 p2p
  PC> to running a Linux server.  Everything's fine except they are
  PC> now hooked on a (discontinued) Powerquest product called
  PC> Datakeeper.  That monitored folders on the Win98 server and kept
  PC> versions of changed files.  It didn't work on timed runs but, I
  PC> guess, on system calls.  You set how many versions you want to
  PC> keep and it will keep that many, independent of how old the
  PC> versions are.

Hmm, maybe a versions + time approach would be better.  This way it
seems if you had the habit of saving your documents every 5 minutes
you would exhaust the number of versions..  (And a file that changed
once would have old versions around for years.)

  PC> I've been trying to find a similar Linux solution and have been
  PC> trying rdiff-backup.  The way I've been testing it is running it
  PC> every 5 minutes to try and catch recent changes but I of course
  PC> end up with huge (in terms of no. of files) rdiff-backup-data
  PC> directories.  The other problem is that restoring is cumbersome
  PC> when all you want to do is restore the 'last version'.

Yeah, rdiff-backup wasn't really designed with a 5 minute cycle in
mind.  What do you mean about restoring the 'last version' though?
Can't you just use cp?

  PC> I appreciate the problem is the way I'm trying to use
  PC> rdiff-backup, but I'm wondering whether it is possible to
  PC> achieve what they want (i.e. a set number of prior versions
  PC> irrespective of age) or whether anyone knows of an alternative
  PC> approach/product.  I'd really like to get close as their IT guy
  PC> is going out on a bit of a limb by going Linux.

You can't really set a different number of backups on a file-by-file
basis with rdiff-backup.  I suppose it wouldn't be hard to write a
script that just culled the rdiff-backup-data directory based on
number of increments for each file instead of by a specific time, but
the larger problem seems to be that it is inefficient to search
through all a system's data every 5 minutes.  Intercepting system
calls seems to be a must.

    I don't have any experience with this (perhaps someone else on
this will pipe up) but there was a recent discussion on the rsync list
about this.  Maybe this message will be helpful to you:  (edited by
me)