First version of duplicity released

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:01:53 -0700

--==_Exmh_-917053224P

  DG> you know, i haven't looked at this yet, but i'm thinking that i
  DG> might use this for the tarballs even though i don't necessarily
  DG> have any need for encryption.

Well, try it and tell me what features you think it needs (obviously a
--no-encryption option might be high on your list), or if you have any
comments on the basic scheme.

  DG> reiserfs supports essentially optimal tail packing... but it
  DG> tends to be slower and has been buggy in the past.

And the benchmarks I've seen suggest that it is the tail packing, and
that it is fast with --notails (or whatever the option was).  Whether
reiserfs is buggy or not seems to be a matter of religion...

  DG> i've got 950k inodes on my backup server (20 days of
  DG> increments), so this would save maybe 950k*(2048-512) =~ 1.6GB
  DG> on my backup server :)

Not so much nowadays...

  DG> here's a tarball of the session_statistics files for my daily
  DG> backups of twinlark.arctic.org
  DG> i'm on a modem right now or i'd whip up a perl script and make
  DG> some nice conclusions from the data :)  but i figured i'd post
  DG> in case it helps.

Don't forget (like I did in this discussion) about the
--calculate-average option.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-917053224P