First version of duplicity released

dean gaudet dean-list-rdiff-backup@arctic.org
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

you know, i haven't looked at this yet, but i'm thinking that i might use
this for the tarballs even though i don't necessarily have any need for
encryption.

tar uses a 512-byte blocksize -- so on average it wastes only 256 bytes
per file.  the ext2/3 filesystems on linux don't support fragments and
with a 4096 byte blocksize you end up wasting 2048 bytes on average.
other unixes use ufs/ffs which support 1024-byte fragments (512 byte
aerage waste).  reiserfs supports essentially optimal tail packing... but
it tends to be slower and has been buggy in the past.

i've got 950k inodes on my backup server (20 days of increments), so this
would save maybe 950k*(2048-512) =~ 1.6GB on my backup server :)

-dean