really small bug and a question for inhomgenous environments

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:49:00 -0700

--==_Exmh_-831142547P

  TP> I found a minor minor bug in the rdiff-backup 0.95:
  TP> --test-server requires an argument.  If called without, it
  TP> raises an exception.  Therefore, line 162 of Main.py should be
  TP> changed into: if l == 0 and action != "server":

  TP> The man page should be adopted *************** *** 310 **** ! .B
  TP> --test-server --- 310 ---- ! .B --test-server host::filename
  TP> *************** *** 426 **** ! rdiff-backup --test-server
  TP> hostname.net::/this/is/ignored --- 426 ---- ! rdiff-backup
  TP> --test-server hostname.net::/ignored

  TP> (the last diff puts the whole example hopefully in one line of
  TP> the rman.

Thank you, I just updated my copy.

  TP> I have the task to think of a backup system for our local
  TP> environment (lot's of notebooks with windows and linux) and
  TP> stumbled over your great rdiff-backup and want to give it a
  TP> try. Because I do not want to force everyone to install
  TP> python2.2, I will use some rsync to mirror the filesystem to a
  TP> backup server, and than make a rdiff-backup of this mirror for
  TP> history backup. This may nearly double the necessary discspace,
  TP> but brings the installation effort to a fraction. Or do you have
  TP> a better idea?

It is generally easier to install rsync than
python2.2+librsync+rdiff-backup, and I can't think of another way to
use rdiff-backup when it isn't installed on a host computer, so I
suppose that scheme makes some sense.

    It does seem a shame to waste all the disk space though.  You may
want to check out Mike Rubel's "rsync snapshots" at

    http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

He describes a way of getting something similar to rdiff-backup but
just using rsync and hard links.  It takes up more disk space but less
than the scheme you're describing..

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-831142547P