--restore-as-of date range specification not explained in man page

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:18:27 -0700

--==_Exmh_-1718188848P

  GZ> When i read the man page i did not find information on how
  GZ> rdiff-backup decides which backup to use if the "-r
  GZ> restore_time"

  GZ> a) is not specific enough (multiple backups belonging to the
  GZ> specified date range, e.g. ... -r 3D ... with two backups three
  GZ> days ago)

  GZ> b) does not match any backup (no backups belonging to the
  GZ> specified date range; e.g. ...-r 3D ... with backups two days
  GZ> ago and seven days ago)

  GZ> I think this should be explained in the man pages "RESTORING"
  GZ> section and perhaps explained with examples in the "EXAMPLES"
  GZ> section.

I can see how it could be a bit confusing.  Would it clear things up
if I added this paragraph to the RESTORING section?

       Note  that  the option to --restore-as-of always specifies
       an exact time.  (So "3D" refers to the  instant  36  hours
       before  the present.)  If there was no backup made at that
       time, rdiff-backup restores the  state  recorded  for  the
       previous backup.  For instance, in the above case, if "3D"
       is used, and there are only backups from 2 days and 4 days
       ago, /usr/local as it was 4 days ago will be restored.

If you are not sure exactly which version of a file you need, it is
probably easiest to either restore from the increments files, or to
see which increments are available with -l/--list-increments, and then
specify exact times into -r/--restore-as-of.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-1718188848P

--==_Exmh_-1718188848P--