Settime_bypass problem ?

Erminio Baranzini aredat@yahoo.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:37:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ben Escoto <bescoto@stanford.edu> wrote:
> 07:17:34 -0700 (PDT)
>
>   EB> Hi rdiff-backupper, I am trying to test
> rdiff-backup (about 12
>   EB> GB data), but after a lot of files transferred
> without problems,
>   EB> I get 600 MB of log saying always the same
> things each time for
>   EB> a new file (or dir), wich will be nevertheless
> copied over :
>
>   EB>

home/tata/d/___BACKUP/rdiff-backup-0.7.2/rdiff-backup
>   EB> --change-source-perms --force
> --exclude-device-files --exclude
>   EB> /a --exclude /b --exclude /proc --exclude
> /compat --exclude
>   EB> /usr/compat / /b/essai-rdiff
>
>   EB> The problem is partly repeatable, but not
> always at the same
>   EB> point of the tree.
>
> Apologies if you get two copies of this message.  I
> accidently pressed
> some random key combo in emacs and who knows what
> happened.  Anyway,
> the problem seems to have something to do with the
> --change-source-perms option.  Are you running as
> root?  If so you
> don't need that option, at least under linux.  If it
> works ok without
> that option that would be a useful clue.
>

> --
> Ben Escoto

Yes, I am running it as root. I will try without
--change-source-perms. But it will take some hours to
get the answer.

And why should this option be a problem only for some
files (even not all files in the /bin directory of
this example) ? I have the impression that all files
accessed after this one are subject to the problem.

Is it not a problem with too big numbers or hashes or
...?

How (in which order) is rdiff accessing files? As
find? Or another strategy?

But we will see.

Thanks

Erminio