regexp support

Donovan Baarda abo@minkirri.apana.org.au
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:01:56 +1000

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:55:54PM -0700, Ben Escoto wrote:

>   DB> I'm interested to know what changes you might have made to my
>   DB> efnmatch.py and dirscan.py. I really want to keep my stuff as
>   DB> common code if I can.
>
> Well, there were a number of changes because the rest of the
> rdiff-backup code expected a generator to yield the correct paths in
> the form of DSRPath objects.  So mainly I made some rdiff-backup
> specific changes which wouldn't really be applicable elsewhere.  I'm
> attaching the relevant code (called "selection.py" in the
> rdiff-backup-devel package).

I saw your announcement... I'll have a look at it all in a week or so... got
some other work happening next week.

[...]
> I saw three advantages to matching against the path including the
> root:
>
> 1.  Patterns as specified by --include should be somewhat compatible
> with the format of the lines in a filelist, and rdiff-backup should
> accept filelists generated by the find utility.  find generates full
> and not relative paths.

find can return relative paths.. using '-printf "%P"';

[...]
>     About using the same options to back up a partition mounted at
> two different points, it is possible by cd'ing to the directory first.
> For instance:
>
> cd $MOUNT_POINT
> rdiff-backup --include ./whatever/**bar --exclude ./foo . /backup
>
> would work as long as $MOUNT_POINT were updated.

I think my problem is I haven't used rdiff-backup in anger yet. I keep
assuming behaviour that comes from how I was going to implement something
like rdiff-backup, not how you've actually implemented it :-)

In the end it's much of a muchness.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key