Front end for rdiff-backup

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:41:40 -0700

--==_Exmh_1776246321P

  TH> The front end I have in mind would have to do most of its work
  TH> by parsing the text output of rdiff-backup. How likely is it
  TH> that the output format will change in future versions? (Anything
  TH> but the tiniest change would break a front end that expects a
  TH> certain format from rdiff-backup's stdout.)

Hmm, this doesn't sound like an ideal situation.  Some information
could be conveyed through exitlevels (right now I think there are only
two values, 0 for success, nonzero for failure).  What kind of output
would you need to parse?  Maybe the output could just be dumped into a
window and shown directly to the user?

    If none of this would work, maybe there could be a --batch-mode
switch, to make rdiff-backup only respond in a preset way.  But I'm
hoping this won't be necessary, since rdiff-backup isn't really an
interactive application.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1776246321P