Memory Problem

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:29:01 -0800

--==_Exmh_-308328158P

  Jan> Hi I just played around with rdiff-backup and found that it
  Jan> uses lots of memory.  I use an old P-133-box with 64 Megs of
  Jan> RAM for testing and it has to start swapping as soon as the
  Jan> mirrored/backuped directory is larger than about 27megs:

  Jan> But I wonder how much memory it would take to backup a
  Jan> 30Gig-Serverharddisk. that must be a bug or what?

Yes, there is a bug somewhere!  rdiff-backup is not supposed to use
much memory.  I back up my whole system (7GB, hundreds of thousands of
files) nightly using it and rdiff-backup 0.4.2 maxes out at approx 7MB
of ram.  Unless you have one directory with a million files in it,
rdiff-backup should not be using 80+ megs.

    Another user told me he had gotten a MemoryException (out of
memory error).  At the time I thought it must have been another
process taking up all the memory, but apparently rdiff-backup can use
up a lot too.

    Are you running it with any special options?  (For instance not
turning off python's garbage collection somehow?)

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-308328158P

--==_Exmh_-308328158P--