Memory Problem

Jan Kirchhoff kirchhoff@interactix.de
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:11:01 +0100

Hi

I just played around with rdiff-backup and found that it uses lots
of memory.  I use an old P-133-box with 64 Megs of RAM for testing
and it has to start swapping as soon as the mirrored/backuped
directory is larger than about 27megs:

Suse Linux 7.3 with Kernel 2.4.10-4GB
Python 2.2b2
librsync-0.9.5
rdiff-backup-0.4.2

i increased swap-space to 2GIGs just for a test how much memory it
would need to backup a 400Meg-Directory, but of course it's getting
real slow now...
a friend of mine has another 64Megs of RAM which i'll be getting
this afternoon.

But I wonder how much memory it would take to backup a
30Gig-Serverharddisk. that must be a bug or what?

right now it has been running for about 30 Minutes and copied 80 out
of 442 Megs using 224M of SWAP (Python uses 68% of the memory top
says...)

i'd be glad for any help or hints.

i'll post more info later

Jan