Problems with 0.10.0 on Windows

"Törrönen, Paul-Erik" paul-erik.torronen@cardinal.fi
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:38:45 +0300

AFAIK no, but then again, those are not important in our case.

> Are all/most windows file systems case insensitive?  If so, perhaps
> there should be a way to encode the case better.  For instance,

AFAIK all, including the newest NTFS which is shipped with the
Windows XP. This is a 'compatibility' feature.

> course, names would get a lot longer.  What is the max filename length
> under windows usually?  256?  Since there is a 4x length expansion
> when quoting an ALL CAPS filename couldn't get longer than 50
> characters...

256 characters on NTFS as well as VFAT and FAT32.

> "hello1234world;x1C50" (where we use ";x" or something to signal the
> start of one of these strings).  But this way sounds like more work
> for me...

And obfuscates the files quite effectively.

Just a thought, why not support encapsulation on the remote-end as
an option? This would retain the local access-parameters of the file
and would also solve the abovementioned case-sensitivity problem
(and filename length, if used on some seriously crippled or outdated
system).

For example in our case the client (linux) sends the initial files
in a tar-ball which the server (windows) then uses as a base to
calculate whether the files have changed since.

In princip use some suitable archiving system (why reinvent the wheel?)
and create a 'virtual filesystem' on the server which supports the
features of the remote client filesystem.

BTW. the fifo-patch seems to work fine, but now the rdiff-backup
seems to doze off from time to time and wakes up at keyboard
acitivity. I ran it (with -v7) of the cmd-console and noticed
that it had stopped at some large file (~600 MB). Left it for the
night and it was still in the same state when I came back in
the morning. The task manager showed no action until I hit the
enter-key in the console window. The program resumed after that
just as nothing had happened. Weird...

Poltsi

Paul-Erik Törrönen
Cardinal Information Systems Ltd
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 C, 00150 Helsinki, FINLAND
E-mail: paul-erik.torronen@cardinal.fi
Mobile: +358 (0) 40 703 1231
Phone: +358 (0) 424 162 4204
Fax: +358 (0) 424 162 4207
Web: <www.cardinal.fi>

_____
PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments may be privileged and confidential
and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the
addressee any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly
prohibited