Problems with 0.10.0 on Windows

"Törrönen, Paul-Erik" paul-erik.torronen@cardinal.fi
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:12:50 +0300

We're currently using 0.9.5 since the 0.9.5.1 does not compile on
cygwin. It gives the following error (after running the ./configure):

$ make
cd . && automake --gnu --include-deps Makefile
configure.in:16: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
configure.in:16: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
configure.in:16: with aclocal and run automake again.
Makefile.am:21: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am:22: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am:23: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am:24: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
/usr/autotool/devel/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/autotool/devel/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/autotool/devel/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/autotool/devel/share/automake-1.6/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not
appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

Running the aclocal does not give any errors but the automake
pukes another slew of errors:

$ automake
Makefile.am:21: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am:22: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am:23: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am:24: `#' comment at start of rule is unportable
Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
popt/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found

This does not happen when  we compile the older (0.9.5) version.

I did some reseach on this and it seems that the problems occur
when I apply the librsync-0.9.5-opts.diff. The
librsync-0.9.5-rdiff-mem-leaks-patch went fine, so we're testing
that one.

> Then when you use --exclude-device-files it will also exclude fifos.
> Hopefully that will solve your "Function not implemented" error.

At least it keeps on instead of bailing out (should have
tested it on a smaller installation :-). So it seems to tackle
the fifo problem.

>     However, I am more concerned with these messages:
>   PE> Warning: Found unexpected
>   PE> destination file
>   PE>
> /cygdrive/e/host.domain.net/lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ip
> v4/netfilter/i
>   PE> pt_mark.o, not processing it.  Warning: Found unexpected

> These warnings are supposed to happen when a file is created while
> rdiff-backup is running, but given the number of these messages that
> probably isn't happening here.
>     Just had a thought: is it possible that your destination file
> system isn't case-sensitive?  Then things are bound to get screwed

Yes, NTFS pretends to know the difference between upper and
lowercase but handles them internally as equal. Insofar this
has not been a problem since the users mostly create their
files using windows and are knowleable enough not to create
such conflicts when occationally using Linux.
Insofar only the ipfilter-modules have had this problem.

Poltsi

Paul-Erik Törrönen
Cardinal Information Systems Ltd
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 C, 00150 Helsinki, FINLAND
E-mail: paul-erik.torronen@cardinal.fi
Mobile: +358 (0) 40 703 1231
Phone: +358 (0) 424 162 4204
Fax: +358 (0) 424 162 4207
Web: <www.cardinal.fi>

_____
PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments may be privileged and confidential
and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the
addressee any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly
prohibited