Image of hard drive using rdiff-backup

Theo van der Merwe theodor2@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:40:06 +0000

>From: "Spicer, Kevin" <Kevin.Spicer@bmrb.co.uk>
>To: "'rdiff-backup@keywest.stanford.edu'"
>	 <rdiff-backup@keywest.stanford.edu>
>Subject: RE: Image of hard drive using rdiff-backup
>Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 13:14:30 +0100
>
>This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
>this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
>
>------_=_NextPart_001_01C2527A.4A0FAEC6
>
>If you only want to image a disk I'd have thought the easiest way to do
>that
>would be something like (assuming you first format and mount your new disk
>as /mnt/newdisk)
>
>cd /mnt/newdisk
>tar cf - --exclude /mnt/newdisk / | tar xf -
>
>(It may be a little more complicated if you have multiple partitions...)
>
>BUT to make it bootable you'll need to chroot to your image disk (chroot
>/mnt/newdisk) edit /etc/lilo.conf to change the boot line to reflect the
>real current physical location of your new hard drive (eg change boot
>/dev/hda to boot /dev/hdb) and make similar changes to all other /dev
>references.  Rerun lilo then restore lilo.conf to how it appeared
>originally
>(else if you run lilo after booting from the new disk installed as hda1
>you'll find it then won't boot anymore- nice!)   If you use grub I guess
>you'll have to do something similar.
>
>If you have a cd burner you might like to try mkCDrec (mkcdrec.ota.be)
>which
>is IMHO a very good package for creating recovery CD's and image CD's
>
>On the other hand if you want a regular backup to a second hard disk, with
>incrementals, then rdiff-backup rocks!

Thanks for your e-mail message and feedback. My question is whether
rdiff-backup itself can be used to perform an image of a hard drive?

I would like to make an image once, then only perform incremental updates on
the image files (backuping up a complete image file to CD is a major
mission). A second question would be if it is possible to backup FAT and
NTFS file systems in a similar way (so they are also bootable)?

Best regards,
Theo van der Merwe (theodor2REMOVE@hotmail.com)