restore problems

Pavlos Parissis p_pavlos@freemail.gr
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:46:41 +0300

On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:00:21 -0700 Ben Escoto <bescoto@stanford.edu> wrote:
>  >>>>> "PP" == Pavlos Parissis <p_pavlos@freemail.gr>
>  >>>>> wrote the following on Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:55:19 +0300
>
>    PP> I was thinking that there is an option for that action,but as i
>    PP> can see there isn't.
>
>  Oh, there is, using the -r syntax (like "-r now").  But since you were
>  backing up locally I thought cp would be easier for you.
I started to use your program because i want a backup program.
I don't like to use severals and different programs(cp) for o ne job.

>    PP>   But think that scenario, monday i do full backup and next day
>    PP> the first incremental backup, and the same for the third
>    PP> day,second incremental backup.In third day evening someone
>    PP> delete several files from several directories.So i am facing a
>    PP> situation that i have to restore "unknow files".How can your
>    PP> program help me to recover only the deleted files?
>
>  I see.  Right now there is no way to tell it "restore only the files
>  that have changed in these directories".  That is an option that could
>  perhaps be added (maybe in 1.1.x) but currently does not exist.  But I
>  think this is just a matter of speed and not functionality.  If you've
>  deleted files in /foo/bar and the backup is /backup/bar, you could
>  just:
>
>      rm -rf /foo/bar
>      rdiff-backup -r <time> /backup/bar /foo/bar
>
>  Now, for the special case where the files are current in the mirror,
>  you CAN just restore the changed files, by using a mirroring tool:

What do you mean "current files"?
>      rsync -aH /backup/bar /foo/bar
>
>  or
>
>      rdiff-backup -m /backup/bar /foo/bar
>
>    PP> The first think that i can do is to find the corresponding
>    PP> increment files,hard way, and restore them. Secondly, to restore
>    PP> "1" day before in order to have the previous mirror. But will
>    PP> this destroy the newer files?The files which i changed the third
>    PP> day just before the disaster.  So how can i recover these files
>    PP> with rdiff-backup?
>
>  I think perhaps I am not understanding your question again.  When you
>  restore you don't destroy anything, you just retrieve the information
>  from the archive and save it somewhere.  To recover a file or
>  directory you can run rdiff-backup on the associated increment or use
>  the "rdiff-backup -r <time> file" syntax.
OK maybe i didn't write well.
I have 2 files , z and x, in my home dir with Change date-time 01-09-02 10:00
I backup my dir at 01-09-02 10:01 and at 01-09-02 10:30 i modify the file z file and delete x.
I will do rdiff-backup -r now /backup/homedir fore recovering the deleted file?
WHat will happen with the modified file?

Pavlos

--
I love having the feeling of being in control

The surfer of life