cd-burning/tapeing rdiff-backups?

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:13:00 -0700

--==_Exmh_-1818811212P

  GZ> I thought about tapes.  But it doesnt matter.  Backups are data
  GZ> as other data and there is a need to manage them one way or the
  GZ> other.

Well, rdiff-backup requires that the destination be available in the
form of a random access file system.  This can probably be done with
a tape but usually its interface is represented by a block device.

  GZ> So i could do a backup on two tapes: - one tape with the mirror,
  GZ> another tape with the increments.

  GZ> - next time i make a new mirror on tape one and copy new
  GZ> increments to tape two.  ...  - later i make a mirror on tape
  GZ> one and copy newer increments on tape three because tape two is
  GZ> full?  ...  - even later i make a mirror on tape one and recycle
  GZ> tape two for newer increments

If you can do it I suppose it would work, but rdiff-backup doesn't
know anything about tapes.  There is no way to tell it to store the
mirror files on one tape and the increment files on a different tape.

    Maybe I still don't get your question, but this seems unrelated to
rdiff-backup to me.  rdiff-backup doesn't support tapes, just file
systems.  If, after rdiff-backup is run, you have some way of backing
up a file system onto a tape, then sure, that would work, as
rdiff-backup just writes files like any other program.

  GZ> How do i achive the copying of the incremets? Would cp -a
  GZ> /backup/*2002.07.* /backbackup catch all necessary files?

No, the backup files will be in several directories in
/backup/rdiff-backup-data.  You could use rsync maybe:

rsync -a /backup/rdiff-backup-data /backupbackup

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-1818811212P

--==_Exmh_-1818811212P--