How to control which directories get statistics?

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:16:37 -0700

--==_Exmh_1627603345P

  DG> how about one top-level file which has all the statistics..

  DG> you could just print all the numbers, space-delimited, followed
  DG> by the path.  then it's easy to format in whatever way we desire
  DG> with sort and such.  maybe put #comments at the top explaining
  DG> the field ordering.

  DG> such a file will compress well and have none of the blocking
  DG> problems.

Yes, good idea.

  DG> p.s. note that files with \n in their name would pose troubles
  DG> unless you used \0 delimited records.  but i'm not sure if even
  DG> gnu sort has a way to handled \0 delimited records, d'ohh.

I'm not sure I want to use \0 instead of \n.  Would using python's
repr() function be cheating?

>>> print "file \n with \r\l strange\200 chars"
file
\l strange€ chars

>>> print repr("file \n with \r\l strange\200 chars")
'file \n with \r\\l strange\x80 chars'

>>> print repr("average/file/name")
'average/file/name'

With the quotes stripped, repr(filename) == filename for most
filenames, and then we wouldn't have to worry about special
characters.  sort and other programs wouldn't necessarily get
everything exactly right, but maybe the exceptions wouldn't be very
troublesome.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1627603345P