File selection and remote backup

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Mon, 20 May 2002 12:35:17 -0700

--==_Exmh_1681478788P

  BE> However when I start adding file selection criteria like this, I
  BE> get a 'too many arguments' error:

  BE> rdiff-backup --exclude /home --include /home/mysql --include
  BE> /home/sites primary-backup::/home bakupdir

  BE> Is this the right way to pass file selection arguments to a
  BE> remote copy?

What rdiff-backup is really trying to complain about is that the final
selection option is an include.  But since the default is an include,
and options are processed from left to right, those trailing --include
options are redundant.  What you probably want is:

rdiff-backup --include /home/mysql --include /home/sites \
             --exclude /home primary-backup::/home bakupdir

It just looks like a "too many arguments" error because there is an
error in the part where rdiff-backup reports the other error.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1681478788P

--==_Exmh_1681478788P--