unattended rdiff-backup / ssh configuration

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:45:56 -0700

--==_Exmh_1488411142P

  DG> just thought i'd share this configuration tip with folks -- ben
  DG> you may wish to include this on your webpage or in the docs
  DG> somewhere.

Thanks - I added a link under the Documentation section of the front
rdiff-backup page.

  DG> oh yeah, another feature request :)  a "--server-read-only"
  DG> command line option which would restrict rdiff-backup to running
  DG> as a source server only.  that would protect a server from ever
  DG> being a target in an unattended backup setup.  it would tighten
  DG> security a bit.

  DG> i suppose also a "--server-write-only /path/to/mirror" would be
  DG> appropriate in the other direction.

This is definitely a good idea, but is suprisingly difficult given the
way the protocol is.  Also, I think the --server-write-only switch
wouldn't be worth much without chroot'ing (because otherwise someone
could add in a well-timed symlink and get rdiff-backup to overwrite
whatever they wanted) and right now chroot'ing is difficult because
rdiff-backup depends on rdiff.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1488411142P