script for determining space consumed by increments

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Sat, 11 May 2002 19:52:06 -0700

--==_Exmh_1057119761P

  DG> i suspect rdiff-backup is highly synchronous -- source and dest
  DG> remain in lockstep, considering only 1 file at a time.  with
  DG> only 20ms between my servers i don't care so much... but i bet
  DG> it starts to break down when there's 100ms+ between servers :)

Actually the process is chunked into blocks whose size is controlled
by the Globals.blocksize value (currently set to 32768 bytes).  Each
file's information takes about 200 bytes to transfer (depending on the
filename and so forth), so if there are no changes then rdiff-backup
will compare about 150 files at once (in this case the connection
would look something like:

source side: <32K block containing info on ~150 files>
remote side: <short acknowledgement>
source side: <32K block containing info on ~150 files>
remote side: <short acknowledgement>
etc...

).

    Are you running ssh with compression enabled (-C)?  If bandwidth
is your problem that should really speed things up...

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1057119761P

--==_Exmh_1057119761P--