two stupid questions

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Wed, 01 May 2002 21:55:07 -0700

--==_Exmh_1609468874P

  DG> personally, i believe moving the data directory outside the
  DG> backup target is the best. this avoids "inband communication"
  DG> (as is the case with 'From ' string in unix mailbox format,
  DG> which is considered a bad thing).

  DG> however, we can also do things like this:

The scheme you suggest would solve the problem of backing up an
rdiff-backup mirror directory using rdiff-backup.  However, it seems
less general than an option to specify a particular rdiff-backup-data
directory.  Also, there are two similar cases I'd like to handle:

1.  Filenames only about 30 chars or less shorter than the maximum.
2.  Files on the source partition containing characters not allowable
    on the mirror partition (e.g. ':' and backing up to windows fs).

Maybe these three are similar enough that some common facility to
remap certain filenames to others (filename-mapping.<time>.data files
in increments directory?) would solve all three problems.

    Also, could you explain why it would be a good idea to use
rdiff-backup on an rdiff-backup directory?  Wouldn't it be redundant
not to use rsync (or rdiff-backup --mirror-only) instead?

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1609468874P

--==_Exmh_1609468874P--