Expanding the include/exclude options

Donovan Baarda abo@minkirri.apana.org.au
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:53:54 +1100

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 11:58:01AM -0800, Ben Escoto wrote:
>   AL> So register one vote for a file format that'll allow
>   AL> intermingling. I don't really have an opinion on the cmdline
>   AL> syntax as I lean towards long lists of stuff to include/exclude
>   AL> for my backups.
>
> I can see the utility of the +/- notation.  But is there something to
> be gained from allowing them inside include/exclude lists, and
> switching the meaning?  It seems it would be more intuitive to have a
> separate switch that accepted a file with the +/- notation, in
> addition to the normal --include-from and --exclude-from.

IMHO there is some benefits in just adopting rsync's syntax... it saves on
documentation :-)

But if you dont, then you can do just about anything, including things like;

--select '+/home/**,-**.bak'
--select '+/home/** -**.bak'
--select '+/home/**' --select '-**.bak'
--include '/home/**' --exclude '**.bak'