Remote Backup Server Service

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:14:39 -0800

--==_Exmh_-649145020P

  JM> The man page says to do a remote backup the rdiff-backup must be
  JM> "running" on both machines. What does this mean ? Does it mean
  JM> it just needs to be stated in the $PATH ? I have done this and I
  JM> get multiple errors when trying to connect to a remote
  JM> machine. I am trying to connect to a machine that is on my local
  JM> network for testing and I still get errors. I do get the ssh
  JM> fingerprint and I am prompted for a password from the remote
  JM> machine but when I enter the password i get..

  JM> bash: rdiff-backup: command not found

The problem seems to be that ssh can't find and run rdiff-backup on
the remote machine.  So try:

    ssh remote.machine rdiff-backup

When you can get that to print:

    Error: No arguments given
    See the rdiff-backup manual page for instructions

instead of the "bash: rdiff-backup: command not found" error, then the
original thing you wanted to do should work.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-649145020P

--==_Exmh_-649145020P--