Hard links

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:49:29 -0800

--==_Exmh_-1467920358P

  DB> My main concern with hardlinks is preserving them on a
  DB> "restore". The space savings might be minor, but it is critical
  DB> that when a filesystem is "restored" from an older backup, it is
  DB> restored with hardlinks preserved.

  DB> I'm not sure that rdiff-backup can do this currently. It _might_
  DB> be able to do it when recovering the "latest" backup, but not
  DB> when recovering an older backup.

rdiff-backup currently doesn't notice or preserve hardlinks at all
(see man/web page).  The current plan would preserve them on a restore
as you suggest, and the mirror counterparts of hardlinked source files
would also be linked, but nothing in the rdiff-backup-data directory
would be linked.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-1467920358P