-mount (--one-file-system) like option for rdiff-backup?

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:50:47 -0700

--==_Exmh_1780451110P

  PW> the only feature that seems to be missing at first glance is the
  PW> --one-file-system option. I'd like to be able to backup /
  PW> without a mounted /usr for example.

  PW> Can rdiff-backup do this somehow, without coming up with include
  PW> or exlude statements, so that I can just feed it
  PW> hostname:directory entries to backup without needing to write
  PW> custom rules per entry?

BTW, rdiff-backup uses two colon as in "hostname::directory".  It does
this because the increments have colons in them (because of the time
format) so indicating a hostname with only one colon would require a
lot of escaping when restoring an increment.

    Anyway, there is no --one-file-system option, but there's no
reason it couldn't be added I suppose.  Why not just use --exclude
though?  It is too inconvenient when hierarchies have lots of file
systems in them or the mount points change frequently?

    Also, just to make sure I know what a "file system" is, are two
files on the same file system if and only if their device numbers are
the same?  Or is it something else?  For instance, could / and /usr be
different file systems even if they are both ext2?

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1780451110P

--==_Exmh_1780451110P--