directory_statistics and pathnames with spaces

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:35:59 -0700

--==_Exmh_2118084667P

  DG> hmm ben, i thought you were using some quoting function for the
  DG> pathname in the directory_statistics file?  i see lots of paths
  DG> with spaces in mine ... it's still mostly parseable -- i can
  DG> just parse "left to right" instead of using fixed $n notations
  DG> in awk.  but a bit of a pain.

Do you mean parsing from "right to left"?  That is the way I thought
people would do it.  Newlines are quoted, and that is the important
case - I think everything is uniquely readable the way it is now.
Some recent version has a --null-separator (?) switch, which turns off
quoting all together (but also affects the expected format of any
include/exclude filelists).

    Anyway, I didn't realize that it would be a pain the way it is
now.  It would be pretty trivial to replace all spaces with '\x20', so
I can do that in 0.9.2.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_2118084667P