0.7.6 slower than 0.6.1

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer@bmrb.co.uk
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:00:31 +0100

------_=_NextPart_001_01C213B4.3A3CB214

Hi,
	I recently upgraded from 0.6.1 stable to 0.7.6 development, in the
hopes it might help speed up my backup to a remote machine.  0.7.6 is taking
much longer (13 hours rather than about 8 hours).  The only other change I
made was to recompile python (the build I was using didn't have zlib support
which caused 0.7.6 to bomb).  I'd previously added compression to ssh
(remote-schema) and also changed the encryption to use arcfour (because its
much quicker).  In total this had skimmed about an hour or so off the total.
I don't think it is a bandwidth issue as the link doesn't seem to be
hammered at all.  The load on the destination machine is hovering around
1.00, but the source machine is about half that (probably because the
processor is twice the speed of the destination machine).  Does anyone have
any further suggestions for tuning this?

If I can't sort this out I may have to go back to 0.6.1 - is this likely to
cause any problems?

My configuration...
Source machine  Sun Ultra 2 (296Mhz processor) Solaris 2.6
Source disk  18G 88% full lots of small files

Destination machine Sun Ultra 1 (143Mhz processor) Solaris 2.6

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk +44 (0)20 8566 5000

This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the recipient and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete this message immediately.
Disclosure, copying or other action taken in respect of this email or in
reliance on it is prohibited. BMRB International Limited accepts no
liability in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which
does not directly relate to our business.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C213B4.3A3CB214

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>0.7.6 slower than 0.6.1</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi,</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I =
recently upgraded from 0.6.1 stable to 0.7.6 development, in the hopes =
it might help speed up my backup to a remote machine.&nbsp; 0.7.6 is =
taking much longer (13 hours rather than about 8 hours).&nbsp; The only =
other change I made was to recompile python (the build I was using =
didn't have zlib support which caused 0.7.6 to bomb).&nbsp; I'd =
previously added compression to ssh (remote-schema) and also changed =
the encryption to use arcfour (because its much quicker).&nbsp; In =
total this had skimmed about an hour or so off the total.&nbsp; I don't =
think it is a bandwidth issue as the link doesn't seem to be hammered =
at all.&nbsp; The load on the destination machine is hovering around =
1.00, but the source machine is about half that (probably because the =
processor is twice the speed of the destination machine).&nbsp; Does =
anyone have any further suggestions for tuning this?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If I can't sort this out I may have to go back to =
0.6.1 - is this likely to cause any problems?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My configuration...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Source machine&nbsp; Sun Ultra 2 (296Mhz processor) =
Solaris 2.6</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Source disk&nbsp; 18G 88% full lots of small =
files</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Destination machine Sun Ultra 1 (143Mhz processor) =
Solaris 2.6</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>BMRB International </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://www.bmrb.co.uk" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.bmrb.co.uk</A> +44 (0)20 8566 5000 </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>____________________________________________________________ =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>This message (and any attachment) is intended only =
for the recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged =
material. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender =
and delete this message immediately. Disclosure, copying or other =
action taken in respect of this email or in reliance on it is =
prohibited. BMRB International Limited accepts no liability in relation =
to any personal emails, or content of any email which does not directly =
relate to our business.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C213B4.3A3CB214--