--bwlimit option?

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 18:28:42 -0700

--==_Exmh_39472363P

  NL> Any suggestions on a 3rd party app?  Two apps I know wget and
  NL> rsync both do it themselves.  I've looked around and haven't
  NL> really seen anything.

Well, both of those need to do their own networking, but rdiff-backup
only cares about ssh.

  NL> Seems to be the only generic way would be via some proxy.  Which
  NL> seems like a lot to add for a simple 'sleep for a period and let
  NL> tcp rate limit itself'.

The first entry on Freshmeat under "bandwidth limiting" is cstream.
Homepage is at:

http://www.cons.org/cracauer/cstream.html

I've never tried it, but it looks like it might do the job.

  NL> Personally I wish ssh had this option.

Yep, makes sense.  (Or maybe all the ssh developers are trying to pawn
the responsibility off just like I am...)

  NL> Maybe code can be borrowed from wget or rsync.

Maybe, or at least the general idea how to do it..

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_39472363P

--==_Exmh_39472363P--