Procedure for restore?

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:10:03 -0800

--==_Exmh_1628808815P

  JP> Sorry... let me elaborate...  If I understand things correctly,
  JP> the mirror is a current copy of the files we are archiving.  The
  JP> diff data contains the differences between the current data and
  JP> the past images, right?

  JP> So, if I have 2 weeks of backups (say days 1-14), and I want to
  JP> restore a file that I trashed on day 7, how do I do that?

Suppose you are backing up to /backup.  Since you trashed it on day 7,
the data will be in the /backup/rdiff-backup-data directory.  Suppose
the original file was named /origial/foo/bar then you will want to
check the directory /backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/foo.  For
each different version of bar there will be a dated file, like
bar.2001-07-15T04:09:38-07:00.snapshot.  To restore the file or
directory, just run rdiff-backup with the dated increment file and the
place to put the restored file, as in:

rdiff-backup
/backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/foo/bar.2001-07-15T04:09:38-07:00.snapshot
/original/foo/bar.new

There are some more examples on the man page ("man rdiff-backup").

  JP> I also wonder is there is a rpatch that goes with rdiff...

Yep, you can use rdiff directly to recover your data.  For instance
"rdiff patch basis delta new" writes to "new" the result of applying
patch "delta" to "basis".  Try "man rdiff" for more information.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1628808815P

--==_Exmh_1628808815P--