Cygwin rdiff-backup

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:39:16 -0800

--==_Exmh_-1848556207P

  JP> Hello all, On a lark, I thought I would attempt to get
  JP> rdiff-backup to work under Windows98 under Cygwin. We have a
  JP> number of NT/Win2K servers in the field that I'd love to be
  JP> backing up via rdiff-backup, and this was the start of getting
  JP> that working.

  JP> SUMMARY: o You can get all the pieces for rdiff-backup working
  JP> under Cygwin.  o The backup process works up to the point of
  JP> writing any files with timestamps.  ... This is because the ':'
  JP> character is reserved for Alternate Data Stream (ADS) file
  JP> designations under NTFS.

  JP>   Ben, is there any way we can get you to add a commandline
  JP> switch (or do an environment lookup), that changes rdiff-backup
  JP> to use a windoze-compatible character for the timestamp ':'
  JP> character?

Shouldn't be too hard..  Maybe an underscore instead?  As in
increments.2001-12-07T04_22_01-07:00.dir?  Or just dashes throughout:
increments.2001-12-07T04-22-01-07:00.dir?  Or maybe just remove the
separators: increments.2001-12-07T042201-07:00.dir?  I think all of
those should be uniquely readable...

    I probably should keep the status quo though, for backwards
compatibility and also because the current timestring is a W3 standard
(although they probably never intended it to be used in a filename).

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-1848556207P

--==_Exmh_-1848556207P--