Another idea

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:26:42 -0700

--==_Exmh_-930127026P

  TP> It is useful for all those systems, where you don't have python
  TP> 2.2 and librsync on your local machines, just a way to bring
  TP> data to a common backupserver, that has everything needed
  TP> installed.

  TP> I don't think that it's only the case for me...

To tell you the truth, I was serious before when I said I didn't
understand how it would help.  (I was still thinking that you wouldn't
keep a duplicate of all the directories around.)  But I get it now,
nevermind...

  TP> But I agree that it is a security problem. The possibility to
  TP> ruin your backup is always a problem. In the link you send me,
  TP> this problem is solved in an elegant way.

The elegant way being that rsync happens never to actually modify any
file's data...

  TP> As it seems, that you don't like the idea, I will have to
  TP> implement it myself. Shall I send you patches that you have it
  TP> (at least as undocumented feature) and I can more easily
  TP> incooperate rdiff-backup updates?

Sure, this would be good.

  TP> So, what fraction "mirror files"/"increment files"?

About 80-85% mirror files in my case.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_-930127026P