long names gotcha

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 00:29:04 -0700

Lucky me hit another edge case.  A new directory was created and
in it a file with a name 242 characters long.  rdiff-backup added 34
characters (.<timestamp>.missing) and then promptly blew up.
This introduces an interesting limitation.  And an even more
interesting denial of service attack on multiuser systems.  I'd
suggest defanging this by calculating final name length beforehand and
checking it against the system maximum.  For bonus points figure out a
way to store the diff meta-data somewhere other than in the filename I
guess.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass."