Odd request

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:48:18 -0700

--==_Exmh_671948878P

  JK> I have been using rdiff-backup 0.6.0 for nightly backups.  If
  JK> the backup session is a success my cron job runs the following:
  JK> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 7D
  JK> my.hostname.dom::/home/backup/mybackupdir.

  JK> So I end up with seven days worth of backups.  What I would like
  JK> to do is also keep a 4 weekly snapshots.  IE 7/5/2002,
  JK> 14/5/2002, 21/5/2002...  Does anyone have any suggestions for
  JK> this, or should I just setup a weekly cron job that backs up to
  JK> a seperate directory?

That isn't an odd request at all; I'd like something like that myself.
Because of the way rdiff-backup stores increments, though,
implementing this would be much easier if rdiff had a feature to take
two diffs and compute their composition as a third diff.

    I was also thinking that, to make this feature easier and to avoid
overly long diff chains, rdiff-backup could, during some sessions
(maybe in your case every 7th session), simply save everything as
snapshots instead of diffs.  Anyway, there are a few different options
but I'm not sure what to do yet.

    Also, you should know that as of v0.7.1, rdiff-backup by default
gzip compresses its increment files.  So maybe with this feature you'd
have enough space just to keep 30 days worth of backups.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_671948878P

--==_Exmh_671948878P--