Size of differential backups in production environments

Donovan Baarda abo@minkirri.apana.org.au
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:54:16 +1000

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 05:34:52PM -0600, Ty! Boyack wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to get an idea of what size incrementals are generated with
> rdiff-backup.  Granted that this number will vary GREATLY with the
> type of data being backed up and types of use, but I'd like to get
> some numbers from people using this in production.

Be aware that rdiff 0.9.5 has a rolling checksum bug that means it's delta's
are larger than they need to be. A patch has been submitted upstream but a
new release is not out yet.

On my test data sets the patch reduced the delta sizes to nearly a third of
what they were with 0.9.5.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key