Restore behavior for 'current_mirror.*.snapshot ?'

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:33:49 -0700

  JP> Hi Ben (et al), Just got a chance to look at the changes in
  JP> 0.7.2 with include and exclude commands... Very cool.

  JP>   Mailing about a different issue... What is/should be the
  JP> behavior of rdiff-backup when you want to do a restore of the
  JP> current version of an archive?...
  JP>   Now, technically, I should be able to just copy the content of
  JP> the archive directory (sans 'rdiff-backup-data') to the
  JP> destination directory... But it'd be nice to keep things simple
  JP> and use rdiff-backup (and my current scripts) to do the restore
  JP> ;-)...

Well, to tell you the truth, I never thought that people would want to
restore the current backup using rdiff-backup.  The
"current_mirror.XXX.snapshot" just has the form it does because I
needed to record the time of the last backup, and I already had code
for sticking times into filenames that ended in ".snapshot".  :-)

    But I can see that this behavior may not be totally obvious to
people who aren't me.  It shouldn't be too hard to make restoring the
"current_mirror" do what it looks like it should do, but I don't see a
similarly intuitive way of restoring arbitrary files and directories
that are current.  If only "current_mirror" works, that would seem to
leave a strange asymmetry between the current and previous backups.

--
Ben Escoto