[Rdiff-Backup] Running Rdiff-Backup from Cron

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:29:42 -0500

Dave Poirier wrote:
> We are trying to run a back up job from Cron.  We get an error, Rdiff
> shows defunct in Top and Python2 is still running.  The error we get in
> the log is as follows.....
> Our entry in Crontab...
> rdiff-backup -v5 root@parkrose.k12.or.us::/var/
> /var/rdiff-backup/ms/mail/var/
>
> Running the same command from the command line runs perfectly.
> Anyone had any experience with this?

I don't know; I suppose if it works from the command line and not from
cron there must be some difference between the two environments.  The
most common problem people seem to be having is that rdiff falls out of
their PATH (cron's path is shorter) but I can't tell what the problem is
here.  Do you have the rest of the error message?

--
Ben Escoto