Installing rdiff-backup on RedHat 7.2

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Sat, 06 Apr 2002 09:32:50 -0800

--==_Exmh_1409182070P

  TH> RedHat 7.2 does not include Python 2.2, which apparently is
  TH> required by rdiff-backup. Unfortunately, I can't find Python 2.2
  TH> for RedHat. On rpmfind.net, there are many 2.2 packages, but
  TH> none for RedHat. I tried installing the Mandrake package of
  TH> Python 2.2, and that seemed to work, but only after I installed
  TH> with --nodeps, since it requires libcrypto.so.0,
  TH> libreadline.so.4.2, and libssl.so.0, and I don't know where to
  TH> get the RPMs for these.

  TH> So, anyway, rdiff-backup seems to be working now, but I'm
  TH> worried about my installation. Perhaps those missing libs I
  TH> mentioned might come back to bite me later. Anybody know where
  TH> to get the real (Rawhide?) Python 2.2 RPMs?

Search for "python2" instead of "python" and you will find them.  Just
yesterday I had an email exchange about this with a redhat guy.  He
said that Redhat doesn't want to break binary compatibility from
python 1.5.x in a series (7.x) so they are packaging python >= 2.0
under the "python2" name and including both.

    So I would say the "right" way to install rdiff-backup is probably
to:

1.  Install the python2 package, leaving python 1.5 the way it is
2.  Install the rdiff-backup RPM, using --nodeps if it only complains
    about python missing.
3.  Edit the first line of rdiff-backup so it says
    #!/usr/bin/env python2.2
    so "python2.2" gets run instead of "python" (which is 1.5)

Another way (I actually run Redhat, and this is what I did) is just to
grab any python2.2 SOURCE rpm and --rebuild it.  Source rpms work
great and are probably the answer to 90% of the dependency problems
people complain about with rpms.

    In the future I should probably build special rh7x rpms that do
steps 2 and 3 above automatically.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_1409182070P