Memory problem solved (I think)

Ben Escoto bescoto@stanford.edu
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:04:50 -0800

--==_Exmh_323404032P

The new version of rdiff-backup hopefully has no more memory leaks.
Mike was right - the problem only showed up remotely, where files
ended up being read into memory in their entirety.  Here is the
section from the CHANGELOG:

New in v0.4.3 (2001/12/17)
--------------------------

Plugged another memory hole.  At first I thought it might have been
python's fault, but it was all me.  If rdiff-backup uses more than a
few megabytes of memory, tell me because it is probably another memory
hole..

rdiff-backup is now a bit more careful about deleting temporary files
it creates when it is done with them.

Changed the rpm spec a little.  The enclosed man page is gzipped and
the package file is GPG signed (it can be checked with, for example,
"rpm --checksig -v rdiff-backup-0.4.3-1.noarch.rpm").

rdiff-backup no longer checks the mtimes or atimes of device files.
Use of these times was inconsistent (sometimes writing to device files
updates their times, sometimes not) and leads to unnecessary backing
up of files.

--
Ben Escoto

--==_Exmh_323404032P